Saturday, June 24, 2006

Australia

How do I put into words what visiting home was like? And after that trip, I can say with certainty that it IS home. I have 2 homes and I'm a different person in each of them. Which is strange. Which 'me' is 'me'? The single, wildly successful, travelling Manchester girl, or the Sister/Daughter/Friend who knows the most amazing people in Brisbane and is so lucky to be so loved?


I think I need to be someone in the middle of those two but am not yet sure how to merge them.


I was greeted at the airport with the biggest purple banner I have EVER seen and a crowd of people, thanks (of course) to Kerryn. It was amazing and meant so much to me. As did the parties throughout the week. So wonderful to see so many friends and family, yet with the masses of people, there were a few I didn't get to spend any quality 1-on-1 time with. Next time, I promise!


Ellie & Porky's wedding was BEAUTIFUL. They were both glowing with happiness. As is typical with weddings, I didn't get to spend that much time chatting with either of them (although I did get to the next Sunday at SNL!) but just being there, part of the day, was so very special. I love these two so much and they're such an inspiration to me. I feel blessed to know them.


I also feel blessed to know my sisters. Mum took a lot of photos of the 4 of us, all dressed up for the wedding, and we look beautiful. And we're each so individual as well. To my surprise, I'm the thinnest sister again. For someone who's constantly had issues with her weight ... it's strange to see photographic evidence when I've always thought of myself as 'too big'. I don't think anyone has sisters like I do, or the relationships that we do. Best friends. I miss them so much at times.


Three nights I tried to use BJ's spa but it only finally happened after the 'family BBQ', which was also an amazing day. Volleyball and cricket in the back yard. These seemingly simple things that are so special when you haven't experienced them in over a year.


I got to go to TFN (Thursday Fun Night) - a Rochedale Institution - and these guys, while not necessarily related by blood, are also my family. I missed Danny, though, because he's part of that group (in my mind) yet now lost in Germany. We watched his birthday DVD and laughed way too hard. Poor Tuna!!!


I spent more time chatting to Mum than I think I ever have before. Our relationship is evolving and I'm becoming more comfortable with its new form. It's good. :)


With Christian, I played 'tourist on the Gold Coast' & we went up the (new to me) Q1 tower. That was very cool and I had flashbacks to the other tall buildings I've been up around the world. (Malaysia, New York, Chicago, Paris... the list goes on.) Such a fabulous, fun night, including dinner at a Turkish Restaurant and Gold Coast nightlife, even if I did have to abandon my car on account of drinking a little too much.

And then camping at Mount Barney with most of the people I love best in the world. THAT was awesome. Real air, real stars, real dirt. The sort of thing you don't see in Europe at all and it didn't matter that it was the middle of winter. And running around crazily playing 'spotlight', or 'YMCA' in the middle of the road...who says I have to grow up?

It was Sunday night and I was sad, having just said goodbye to C and realising that I faced even more goodbyes that night. That, of course, is when Greg & Cass unleashed their surprise...they're engaged!!! And getting married in November!

It was actually great that this all happened just as I was leaving, because the sadness of my returning to the UK was overtaken by the excitement of planning a wedding.

Which of course means I will return to Oz later this year. And I'm happy about that. Really happy. I want to spend more time with my family/friends there because I have been away too long. I'm not saying that I'm going back to stay (although it's a possibility), but one of my reasons for the trip home was reconnaissance. And the recon mission told me that yes, family IS important. More than I thought. I'm so happy to have realised that.

1 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger ellie said...

Wow, Nic. Sounded like life kinda changed in the short time that you were over here! Three months, eh. Three months to figure out what you're doing/wait to hear what God wants to do with you. To be honest, I don't think you'll ever stop traveling or ever feel the need to. But that doesn't mean you have to always travel. As you've done over there, perhaps you could set up Australia as your home base for more travel and then return to yet another international home base? Dunno. I pray he gives you direction :)
So glad you had fun at our wedding. Will you stop by in SA when you come home for Greg's?!?! :D Or perhaps you'll no longer be an ex-pat by then? :) I guess He's the only one who knows.
I'm off to have a ridiculously hot shower. Mmmm.
Love Ellie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home