Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Avoiding winter since Jan '06.

I'm still in Ireland, and oh, I love it here. My '6 weeks' has turned into over 3 months and I can't say I'm too unhappy. There's been sadness over missing some things in Aus - in particular, the trip to Melbourne to see "Wicked" with my dearest friends - but I am constantly reminded that there is no perfect life. One cannot have everything, one can only make the best of opportunities that present themselves.

And had I stayed in Brisbane, I'd still be jobless and experiencing winter (which I continue to successfully avoid). The whole concept brings a huge smile to my face, and it looks like I can keep avoiding winter for another year and a half at least. I LOVE it, just switching continents when summer is over!

I've been doing some amazing travel. What else do you do when you have no local friends? ;) I finally got to Land's End, I've spent time in London seeing shows and meeting the lovely Jason Dohring at a "Veronica Mars" convention, and of course travelled back to Manchester, which was like coming home in a way. I've been horse riding on beaches in Donegal, spent a crazy couple of days in Dublin and even went to the Ballyshannon Folk Festival. Irish culture, Guinness, and wonderful, friendly locals.

It hasn't all been sunshine, though. I spent 4 days in hospital due to tonsillitus+painkiller allergies and the recovery is slow. It was quite a scary experience, especially being so far from home. Yet what amazes me about humanity is that People Step Up. Two wonderful women came to my rescue, took me to hospital, visited me, brought me cards and chocolate and I am truly humbled by how much they cared.

It's a good reminder for me, to look out for the alone and the lonely, to be there for someone when they really don't have anyone else.

My life here is simple but busy. There's no endless schedule to keep up with and my evenings are my own. UK-ready-meals are phenomenally good and so I honestly don't have to cook. And it's cheaper than everyday life in Brisvegas - I LOVE not having a car.

Who ever suspected, in January, that I'd be spending a good portion of the year in Ireland?

Life! The ultimate adventure!

2 Comments:

At 3:26 AM, Blogger David said...

Hey. Good to see an update from you.

I've avoided winter for over a year and a half now but it looks like I might finally be in for one, if I don't decide to go back to Africa (client apparently liked my work - gave me an informal job offer of sorts).

Sounds like you're making the most out of it with all the travel. I too love living sans-car but I couldn't imagine doing it outside of NYC or maybe London...

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger David said...

hey. stumbled across a comment of yours on an old post on the fab females blog recently and was just wondering how you've been, and where. drop me a line if you get a chance - my email is in my profile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home