Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Canada, attempt number 2?

I'm thinking of applying for another Canadian visa. If you remember, I already had one but couldn't use it (due to getting glandular fever and ending up in Aus) and it expired. What was even sneakier was the rules changed between the time of my application and acceptance, meaning that they no longer give refunds if it's not used!

So I have to think carefully about this one: it's my last chance (on account of the whole -ARGH- turning 30 this year). Why do working holiday visas have such a young cut-off age? (Answer: because they assume people are married and have kids by this age?) As long as I enter the country by next April I should be okay.

I DO want to spend a season working in a ski resort. It would be so different to what I do now, and yeah, I'd be treated with none of the respect I currently get at work but that would be a humbling experience. Good for the soul. I find that the higher I climb in the corporate world, the more arrogant I become and I have to keep reminding myself that I'm NOT 'better' than others just because of the opportunities God has given me.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend the other day. He's just started medical school and said that he wouldn't trade it for marriage. Whereas me? Would I trade my 'career' and travel experiences for marriage? I do think marriage - human companionship - is more important because at the end of it all, it's the people we meet, the lives we touch, the lives that touch ours, that we remember.

And I have met some INCREDIBLE people all around the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home