Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Life's Legacy

A conversation with my sister today got me thinking.

Sister 1 = Very well off, but no husband and no children.
Sister 2 = Fairly well off, a husband, no children.
Sister 3 = Average income, husband, child.

The three of us are a perfect example of how singles have huge earning power and don't need it whereas families who need the extra income don't have the opportunity to get it. It's no secret that I have a tonne of money compared to the average single woman. It's a combination of being very frugal, being in a high-earning industry, having no dependents, no physical assets and no ongoing debts. (Contents insurance? What contents?!)

I don't buy designer clothes. I'm saving for a trip into space.

But ultimately, what's more important? Riches or family? There can only ever be one answer to that and that's where I am left behind my sisters, while at the same time, I am so grateful to have them.

Single people NEED their families. But what happens when they're 80 and have no children to care for them? No grandchildren to buy presents for? No one to pass words of wisdom on to?

Community living would solve that problem but our society has evolved to scorn that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home