Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hanging out for an intellectual conversation....

Where have my intellectual friends gone? My brain is dying through masses of stupidity or surface conversations. Where are the people with whom I can have deep discussions over a Bible verse, a concept, the universe? Where's the DEPTH?

I just sent out a thought-provoking article to a group of friends, only to have them dismiss it with, "too long and boring, didn't read".

Sure, there are online conversations and communities, but that's not the same as face-to-face.

ARGH.

If I'm honest with myself, the role of intellectual debating partner has always been filled by a girlfriend from work/uni (these are all married now and therefore too focussed on their partners to have room for another intense friendship), or close male friends (again, these have drifted away because of their girlfriends/wives). I'm in that VOID where my closest friends have moved on to others and due to a series of betrayals earlier in the year, I'm hesitant to trust anyone new.

And so I languish in mental emptiness, turning to introspection, which in turn drives me mad. I'M SO BORED lately. I can clean, I can throw things out, I can blog, I can read, I can write my book... but where is life??? Where is the thrill of conversation, of learning, loving and laughing?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home