Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Ein Prosit!

Ah, Oktoberfest. Yes, my Aussie friends, it happens in September in Deutschland. And it was SO MUCH FUN.

Every time I visit Germany, I grow to love it more. Is it because it's my ancestral home? Or is it just the wonderful organisation, respect for rules and authority, and quaint charm of the people? The beauty of embracing a cultural festival (Oktoberfest) where they're not afraid to dress up and drink beer and eat meat, yet not become horribly unruly? Germans are just SO GOOD at organisation!

Elly & I visited Neuschwanstein Castle, the fairytale castle in some of the most breathtaking surroundings I've ever seen. I missed this on the big Europe trip with Danny, Tuna etc and am so glad I finally got to see it. And since we were so close to Austria, OF COURSE we had to drive across the border and managed to see an awesome waterfall.

Foodwise, I had more beer than I've had in my life, and dinner on Saturday was half a fried chicken. Yikes. Munich's atmosphere was carnival like, with parades and costumes and 'vibe'.

SUCH AN AWESOME WEEKEND.

Even if I did end up with Bruce's beer all over me (you shouldda seen us when we staggered off the plane, exhausted, happy, warpaint all over our faces, reeking of alcohol, but sad to have left). Not to mention the whole underwear-ripping-off incidents (not mine, but it happened to half the boys!) while the girls watched in horror and amusement.

And German beer-drinking songs! I almost never wanted it to end. Dancing on tables and singing and 1L beers and throwing clothing and beer wenches and so much atmosphere and laughter and group hugs.

But you know, there were wonderful things about coming home to Manchester too, like JR waiting for me with roses. :) :) :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home