Wednesday, April 19, 2006

6 Years

Manhattan. New York City. There's something both exciting and intoxicating about the place. It had been 6 years since I was last there, and going back to NYC was one of the most incredible experiences of my life.

Why? Because of the journey, and I'm not talking Manchester-->America here. I'm referring to my personal journey. In some ways, I AM that girl of 6 years ago, and yet with an added perspective that makes EVERYTHING different.

If only I could go back in time and tell her what the next few years of her life would hold.

- Starting 'real life' (as opposed to university)
- Falling in love for the first time
- More travel and opportunities than I ever dreamed

The last time I was in NYC, I was a poor student. This time, I could afford to buy 2 dresses AND shoes in a cute little botique.

The last time I was in NYC I was despairing at still being single (at the tender age of 22.) This time, I walked with God and I found so much joy in being on my own. I spent hours wandering through Central Park, sitting in the sunshine, thinking, writing in my journal, breathing the air, admiring the cherry blossoms and knowing that the seductive city was just beyond the trees. (In actual fact, you can see the buildings beyond the park in most directions!)

The last time I was in NYC, I had my future mapped out and knew what the next few years held. This time, I have no clue, and yet it makes me feel so free.

I've come full circle. And I know that I am SO blessed.

1 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, New York :) I thought I would hate it, but there's something so fun and beautiful about it. That said, I could never live there, but it's a Wonderland for Alices of any age. I felt like a star on Broadway, like a hopeless romantic in central park and a girl from the 'hood in Brooklyn. It was also the start of something big for Jordan and I with sneaky smses encoded in Bible verses...ahhh New York, New York. - Love Ellie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home